Moocowmusic have expanded on their excellent selection of iPhone instrument apps, such as Band and Pianist, to follow the natural progression into producing Pianist Pro for the new iPad. The obvious benefits include the larger multitouch screen and greater processing power of the iPad, but Moocowmusic have taken this a step further by integrating MIDI controller capabilities for use with Logic Pro or other DAWs.
Pianist Pro communicates MIDI messages to Logic Pro via OSC (Open Sound Control), a content format for messaging among computers, sound synthesizers, and other multimedia devices that are optimized for modern networking technology. This is transmitted via WiFi - a piece of software needs to be installed on your computer to allow communication between the devices - and if the video demos are anything to go by Pianist pro seems to be pretty responsive.
Check out the video below to see Pianist Pro working as a controller:
The addition of MIDI controller capabilities Pianist Pro offers are not the only additions to the up-scaled iPad version. Here are the main features:
- Single Keyboard view provides a large key area.
- Dual Keyboard view gives you two independently scrollable views onto the same piano keyboard, allowing you to play both left and right hand parts simultaneously.
- Velocity sensitivity depending on where you hit the key.
- A pitch bend / modulation wheel and swell (volume) pedal
- Scale Piano allows you to play any scale in any key merely by sliding a finger up and down the screen.
- Built-in drum machine offers an elegantly simple interface for adding rhythm, with a choice of drum kits to suit a variety of musical styles.
- Fully featured arpeggiator allows you to play complex and perfectly timed runs of notes from holding down a few keys.
Pianist Pro is available now on the US iTunes store and retails at $9.99. Check out the Moocowmusic website for more info on Pianist Pro here: